Water is very essential fluid that replenishes your thirst during Ramadan. Unluckily most of the public do not drink sufficient but have only little amounts at Iftar and then not remember to drink water until the next day!
Why do we need water?
60 –70% of your body is made of water and any reduction in your water intake can affect your body’s cells and nerves for functioning properly. That is why it is extremely necessary to recompense the loss of water from your body, because dehydration can cause undesirable side effects such as: constipation, headache, dizziness, tiredness and dry skin.
Why is water the best for thirst instead of other Ramadan drinks?
- Unlike water, other fluids contain a lot of sugar and can result in you consuming extra calories
- Drinking too much of the Ramadan drinks and other soft drinks will fill up your stomach and delay your digestion process
Good to Remember
Water plays a significant role in weight loss and maintenance, because it helps to get rid of toxins and reduce the feeling of hunger. This is why it is important to drink small quantities of water throughout the night.
How to prevent getting thirsty during Ramadan
The food that you eat play a major role in controlling your thirst while you are fasting. Here are facts.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water every day. If you are exercising and are outdoors in hot weather, you lose more fluids. So make sure you drink more water.
- Avoid hot and spicy dishes as it increases thirst
- Do not add too much salt to salads and other dishes. Also avoid eating salty foods like salted fish and pickles as they increase the body’s need for water
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables because they are rich in water and fiber. They stay in the intestines for a long time and reduce thirst.
- Drink fresh fruit juices rather than sweetened juices
- Try not to drink large quantities of water all at once or a lot during a meal. Instead drink water between your meals.
Good to know
Drinking iced water to break your fast does not refill your thirst but can cause your blood vessels to contract and cause indigestion. For this reason, it is recommended you drink water at room temperature or slightly cold.