Here we are with some exclusive health benefits and tips for selecting and store apricots in a suitable manner.
Health Benefits of Khubani (Apricots)
- The high amounts of iron in apricots make it extremely beneficial for anemic patients as it increases the hemoglobin levels in the body. These foods are an excellent source of iron for women, after their menstrual cycle every month.
- Apricots cause alkaline reactions within the digestive system, if eaten before meal. This aids in better digestion.
- The pectin and cellulose content in apricots are effective in the treatment and prevention of constipation, by allowing smooth bowel movements.
- Vitamin A, along with beta carotene, in apricots is essential for developing and improving eyesight.
- Blending apricots with honey and water and consuming the same helps in lowering the body temperature by eliminating toxic wastes out of the body. Therefore, these fruits assist in the detoxification process.
- Application of the fresh juice of apricot prepared from the leaves can be applied on areas affected with eczema, scabies, skin itchiness or sunburns. This helps in soothing any itchy sensations.
- The high amount of mineral content in apricots makes them beneficial in the prevention and treatment of asthma, bronchitis, toxemia and tuberculosis.
- Lycopene present in apricots reduces the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, thus preventing deadly heart diseases.
- Apricots are known reduce the formation of gallstones and destroy intestinal worms.
- High amounts of vitamin A, vitamin B17, lycopene and beta-carotene have been proven to prevent the risks of cancer and considerably reduce the size of tumors in cancer patients.
- Apricot oil is known to be good in the treatment of earaches.
- The powerful antioxidants in apricots fight against cell damage caused by the free radicals.
How many calories in Apricot (per 100 gm)
- Apricot has about 48 calories per 100 gm of weight
How to Buy Apricots
- It is recommended to buy apricots during the peak season i.e. between May and August. Although imported ones are available, it is best those which are fresh and seasonal.
- The golden and orange-red colour is ideal when choosing good apricots. Avoid those that appear green or pale yellow as these colours indicate premature or over-ripened apricots.
- Also, select fruits according to the time by which you want to consume them. Apricots that are firm to touch have not ripened yet and those that are too squishy are over-ripened. Select the ones that are neither too firm nor too squishy, if you want plan on eating them within a day.
- Unless the blemishes or bruising on apricots have penetrated the skin, there is no reason to worry while selecting them.
- An apricot that is ripe will emit a sweet fragrance. This proves that the fruit is juicy and ready to eat.
Apricot Storage Tips
- Ripe apricots can be put into a sealed container and stored in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. They must be consumed within this time or else, these fruits will lose out on the consistency and eventually turn bad.
- Apricots that are unripe can be placed inside a paper bag at room temperature. This gives them enough time to ripen naturally. Apricots can be stored this way for a few days, according to the degree of maturity when purchased.
Freezing of apricots retains their shelf life for a period of 1 year. For this, it must be blanched in boiling water for a minute or two, plunged into cold water and then frozen.